There are three things you should know about me. I am frugal, I do not like chemicals, and if possible I will always make something homemade over purchasing it in the store. This recipe for Homemade Laundry Soap is all of those things so I just have to share it. Once you try it, I’m pretty sure you won’t go back to the store bought kind!
So, as you can see from the picture, I make A LOT of this at one time. We have a large family so a full bucket will last us close to 4-5 months. A smaller family could easily stretch the soap for 6+ months!
This Homemade laundry soap recipe uses only three ingredients, takes about 15 minutes to make and lasts for a long time. Can’t get better than that, right?!
Homemade Laundry Soap
- 1 Bar Fels Naptha Soap
- 1.5 cups Washing Soda
- 1.5 cups Borax
- Water ~ Divided
- 5 Gallon Bucket w/ airtight lid
- Grate your bar of soap using a cheese grater.
- In a large pot, melt your grated soap with 18 Cups of water. Make sure the soap melts completely, then add your borax and washing soda. Stir until combined. Remove from heat.
- Pour 12 cups of hot water into your 5 gallon bucket. Add in your soap mixture and stir.
- Fill the rest of the bucket with water. Stir well and cover.
- Let your soap cool and sit overnight, it will begin to gel. Actually, it will look a lot like goopy egg whites when it is set.
Add Your Scents:
The Fels Naptha soap does have a lovely light clean smell but I like to add in essential oils for a fresh scent. You will need quite a few drops (40+) of your oils for this large of a batch of soap.
My favorites to use: Lemon, Lavender, Citrus Fresh (Young Living Blend), Rosemary or a combination of them. You can also scent your soap with Purification (young living blend) to help get nasty laundry smells out of your clothing or towels.
Want to Get Started with Essential Oils?
The easiest way to get started with essential oils is with the Starter Kit. You will save a TON of money and all of the oils listed above (with the exception of Rosemary) come with your starter kit! For more information check out our Young Living Starter Kit Page.
Where to buy the soap products?
You can purchase all of the soap products at most stores located near the laundry detergents or cleaning supplies. If you have amazon prime it is easier (and you can buy larger quantities) to order online. I purchased my 5 gallon bucket from Lowes.